Monday, July 12, 2010

Is Your Job Search Out of Control?!? - Part 1 of 5

Is your job search out of control?

How can that be when you are you looking for anything, just any job, to get back to work?

I just searched on Indeed for all, any, jobs in the metro Detroit area posted since yesterday and came up with 1,585! Now I have to narrow that list down somehow and review all that might be of interest. Being open to anything, it may be a challenge. BUT if I can get the list down to only 5% of the original total, I will have only 80 to look at.

Giving myself no more than three minutes per posting, I would need about four hours to look at only 5% of today's new postings. That's, on average, four hours EVERY day!

Just to look at the postings. And that does not even consider the time it would take for me to apply to the ones that look promising.

And forget about following up on any of those applications.

And no way will I have the time to go in person to any of them or to visit any other companies in the neighborhood. Or open up the phone book and call any of them.

After all, you are willing to take anything. How can it take so much time, so much effort, to find "anything?"

But what if you start my search with some job targets, some choice keywords that match my talents, my experience, my education/training, my strengths?

After all, are you really willing to take "anything?"

If you start out asking for anything, you set yourself up to get something you would never want or nothing at all.

But most important of all, no employer wants to hire anyone who is looking for anything.

With at least a general idea of what you want and what you know you are good at doing, you tell employers what they need to know to offer you the job.

Otherwise, you are nobody special who will take anything and just does not care.

Not someone to be hired.

But what if your search with all the right keywords, for your job match, your job fit, keeps coming up empty? What then?

Be sure to come back for Part 2.

In the meanwhile, you can keep on top of all the events, activities, resources and more at JVS by visiting our main website, http://www.jvsdet.org/, or search for jobs at http://www.parnossahworksdetroit.org/, or follow us on Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn.

Walt

No comments:

Post a Comment