- Focus on accomplishment. Be known as the person who gets things done. Solve problems, don't dwell on them. Help other job seekers. Provide Answers on LinkedIn to be recognized as an expert.
- Develop a reputation to be proud of. Keep an eye on your image. Be someone YOU would admire.
- Be trustworthy. Be the person who can keep a secret, isn't a gossip, and can be counted on in all situations. Pay attention when you listen and behave like you are paying attention. Empathize with others and show your empathy.
- When you give your word, keep it. Underpromise and overdeliver.
- Be on time. Be where you are supposed to be when you are expected to be there. Respect the schedules of others. Let them know you know how busy they are and how precious is their time.
- Don't complain. No one cares, and they have problems of their own. Solve problems, don't dwell on them. Share good news with everyone and be selective with whom you burden with the bad news.
- Don't brag. It's obnoxious and it alienates others. Arrogance is the number one reason why people get fired or don't get hired. Trying to manipulate or influence others without considering them is the first step to failure.
Adapted from "Larry's Employee Handbook" as written in It's Called Work for a Reason.